Monday, August 3, 2009

Katie's Triathlon - August 2

Those of you who know me, know that I am not much of a writer, and even less of a “blogger.”  However, this last weekend I was so proud of Katie and her accomplishments that I wanted to be the one to write this post.  On Sunday, Katie completed the “Tri For a Cure” at Cherry Creek State Park to benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.  Katie and about 3,400 of her friends swam 750 meters (twice the distance that I swam in my triathlon), biked 11.6 miles, and ran 3.1 miles – mostly up a long hill.  Katie did AWESOME!  She beat the time she was going for by almost 30 minutes!   I was very proud of her and glad that all of her hard work and preparation had paid off. 



All prepped for the big race. We woke up at 3:45am and drove up to Aurora. Katie woke up energized and ready to race. It may be the only day of her life that she woke up a “morning person.” The bikes and transition stations had to be set up before 7am, which is when wave one began the race.

One of these things is not like the others.  Katie was ready for victory before she even started.

Its like “Where’s Waldo?” …except it is “where is the really beautiful mother of two?”

This is a stick-up!  Just kidding, just a group stretch to calm everyone’s nerves.

And they’re off…

As Conner would say, “Go Mommy, Go!”

I looked closely for Katie coming out of the water.  As other girls slowly walked up the ramp Katie came running full steam.  What a stud.

Katie was so fast on her bike that I missed her at the start but saw her finish strong.

Ok folks, does she even look tired?  WOW! 

Our friend Dave encouraged Katie to crush her competition.   These next few pictures demonstrate “the evolution of the crush.”

Eyeing the finish line.

Both kids were very proud of Mommy. Grace was sporting her “My Mom Tri’s Hard” shirt and was so happy to see her smiling face.  Conner thought Katie’s medal was sooo cool.

My wife is AMAZING.  I was so happy to be there and show how much I loved her. Great job, Babe!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!! We are all so proud of you! And....great blogging Jake! I am impressed. Love and hugs and thanks for "tri-ing" for the cure!!! xox Mom

Anonymous said...

How awesome that you and your 3,400 friends raced for such a good cause. One of my favorite pictures is Grace hugging you at the end. It is like you were doing it for her!!

Congrats on surviving the swim (where you could never rest at the edge of a pool) the uphill bike ride, and the ability to smile at your family while running the third leg of the race.

Jake, thanks for being the photographer and reporter so we could be a part of it. You make a great pair!

Pleasanton Mom

Jeff said...

Wow. Way to crush the competition! I am amazed that you looked so happy durring all of those pictures. I would have looked half dead.Great Job!

Kitty said...

I love the last pic with the "I love my wife" shirt. What a great pic to end the post with!
Congrats Katie! You're my hero!

Nancy Tice said...

Great job, Katie . . . I'm totally impressed! And great job, Jake, on recording and reporting! How wonderful to have this blog to capture the special events and share them with friends and family. Lots of love to you all, Grandma N. xox

KCR said...

Yay Katie!!! Nice job! I knew you could do it and you clearly "crushed" the competition!!! Jake, this was beautifully written and it is clear how proud you are!

Way to go!

Aunt Jerry said...

Wow, Katie! I am so impressed! When/how did you have time to train for it? You looked great (and were smiling!) from beginning to end. You looked like you could have done another triathlon the same day! Loved the photos!

Thanks, Jake, for the commentary. The pictures are great and so was the commentary. How did you get to be at all those spots and catch Katie in action? Were the kids with you the whole time? I agree with Kitty. The last picture with "I love my wife" shirt was the perfect ending.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Marilyn said: Great pictures, great commentary, great triathlon! Enjoyed calling you this morning and telling you I found the results---your time, where you placed in your age bracket etc. I was amazed you hadn't seen that on the internet yet! Really sorry that I was not able to be there in person, but I am proud of your dedication in supporting such a worthy cause. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing!!!! Jenny

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Katie! We are so proud of you!!!

Sara and Jay

Anonymous said...

Ditto to everything everyone's already said! It was a great family event from the sounds of it and I'm so proud of you! Love to you!
~Nina

Erin Mary said...

Jake- Thanks for sharing! Katie- Congratulations! What a wonderful accomplishment...

Erin D.

Tristan said...

Great job Katie...that is awesome!!!

Lora said...

Katie - you rock! GREAT JOB! GREAT PICS!

Susanna said...

Very, very cool!